Friday, September 17, 2010

Getting started

The Ukiah Fire Department has a 1923 American LaFrance fire engine that has been non-operational for about the last 20 or so years. No body really seems to know. That will be a theme here, tracking down some of the history while we try to bring her back to life.

Mike and Bruce as we got 1R backed into the station.
The engine has sat in the corner of our station for most of the almost ten years that I've been working here. About a year ago an engineer that I work with, Mike Stewart, started to talk about putting some time and effort into turning our old 1923 LaFrance. The department has always, at least that I can remember, called this piece 1R. Nothing really happened for a while, other than we started talking about it more and more. Then Mike found a place that might be able to rebuild the radiator. Rumor had it that all the engine needed was for the radiator repaired in order for it to be running again. That got the ball rolling and Mike requested that our department association pay for the radiator repair out of our restoration fund. Hopefully this will motivate all of us to put some elbow grease and time into this piece and bring this piece of history back to the Eagle Fire Company.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, My name is Cathey Raff. My step father was John Dodds. He was a captain on the Ukiah Fire Department. Is this Old Betsy? If so the fire engine has a lot of memories for our family. My step father was involved and I'm trying to remember the history of when it was used. I do know that if it is Betsy it was brought out at my step father's funeral in 1998. I requested it to be present and Roe Sandlin was so nice to bring it on a trailer. I will contact my brothers about more info if you would like. Cathey Raff, Chico, 707-688-8491

    ReplyDelete